Unmarried Couples

Unmarried Couples and Common Law Marriage in California

?Common law marriage? is a type of union in which the spouses have agreed to marry, live as a married couple, and are known as a married couple in the community, but have not observed the formalities of a ceremony or marriage license. While a minority of States allow common law marriage, California is not among them.

Unmarried couples who have been together for an extended period of time, however, do have some rights. The family law attorneys at Kaspar & Lugay, LLP, can help you protect those rights and provide provide clarity about your status under the law as an unmarried couple. Call 415-789-5881 or contact us online to schedule a consultation.

Common Law Marriages from Other States

It may be possible to be married under California law if you lived as a couple in another state that recognizes common law marriage. In order for California to recognize your common law marriage, you must have lived in a state where such a union is legally recognized, and have met the criteria for married status.

States that currently recognize common law marriage include:

  • Alabama
  • Colorado
  • Iowa
  • Kansas
  • Montana
  • Rhode Island
  • Texas
  • South Carolina
  • Utah

These laws vary from state to state, so it is critical you have a knowledgeable attorney who can help confirm your status in your previous state of residence. In general, most states require that you hold yourselves out as married, which can be evidenced by things like filing joint tax returns and using the same last name.

What Are the Rights of Unmarried Couples in California?

Even if you were not legally married or do not meet another state?s criteria for common law marriage, you may have limited rights similar to divorcing couples. For example, if you reasonably believed that you had a valid marriage, you may have the right to financial support and the division of assets. Whether you had a reasonable belief can be difficult to prove and often involves situations where there was a technical error in the marriage process.</

You may also have rights after you separate if there was a written or verbal contract promising financial support, such as a cohabitation agreement. This is often referred to as ?palimony,? and it similar to alimony for couples who have been together for an extended period of time.

Clarify Your Marital Status and Protect Your Rights with Kaspar & Lugay, LLP

Because every situation is unique, our lawyers will invest time in understanding your history, your current status, and your ideal outcomes. We then develop a customized strategy in order to effectively argue your case and get you the outcome you deserve. Call 415-789-5881 or contact us online to schedule an initial consultation.

Meet Your Attorneys

Marin Law Office

Corte Madera, CA

Our headquarters is in Corte Madera, CA


770 Tamalpais Drive, Suite 200
Corte Madera, CA 94925

Call Now

Napa Law Office

Napa, CA

Visit our Napa County office


1606 Main Street, Suite 207
Napa, CA 94559

Call Now

Walnut Creek Law Office

Walnut Creek, CA

Visit our Contra Costa County office


1990 N California Blvd., 8th Floor
Walnut Creek, CA 94596

Call Now

Santa Barbara Law Office

Santa Barbara, CA

Our Santa Barbara office serves the entire Central Coast

805-719- 7841

827 State Street, Suite 1
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Call Now
    I have read and understand the Disclaimer and understand that just by submitting information through this website does not imply an attorney-client relationship.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

We give you the tools and guidance​

So you can make informed, educated decisions about complex issues

Scroll to Top